Common SEO Mistakes and Errors
There shouldn't be any seo web page errors with your website for the best SEO performance. When creating a website there are many tasks to be completed, here's a list of common SEO mistakes and errors.
The following mistakes and errors are not in order of importance.
This list is not all-inclusive, so it is a guide only!
- Title Meta Tag
- Using 'Home Page' or 'Welcome to' as your title. You should also ensure you have an unique title that's relevant to the page content.
- Description Meta Tag
- Having the same description for multiple pages. Also ensure you have an unique description that's relevant to the page content.
- Keyword Research
- A keyword is a word or series of words that a user enters into a search engine. If your audience is looking for 'qwertyuiop' and your use 'asdfghjkl' on your website, search engines most likely will not display your site in the search results. To research keywords for your industry, use tools such as Google's free Adwords Keyword Research service to look for search queries that generate an adequate volume of website results.
- Concentrating too much on Meta Tags
- SEO is not about getting your meta keywords and description correct! In fact, meta tags are becoming a thing of the past. You need to create your meta keywords and descriptions but don't except to rank well only because of this.
- Using Images for Headings
- Your site may look pretty but search engines do not read images, and alt tags can be abused, so search engines may or may not trust the text in your alt tags.
- Missing Keywords in the Content
- The original search engines trusted the title, description and key words in meta tags, not any more. Search engines analyze your content to determine what the web page is about.
- Focusing on search engines instead of your visitors
- Your web site is for your visitors, so focus on your visitors. Having all the key words in a jumble mess that humans can not read is not serving your visitors.
- Create a Search Friendly Website
- Include a site map, this file provides the spiders with an accessible reference of all the pages on your site, allowing indexing to proceed.
- Link Building
- Although link building can be an important part of online marketing, you won't want to put quantity ahead of quality. The quality of a site's backlink profile is one of the key factors believed to play a role in identifying a site as potential spam and penalizing it.
- Caught in SEO Trends
- Spend less time obsessing about the latest 'trick/fad/thing' to boost your rankings and instead focus on the fundamental tasks/efforts that will bring lasting visitors.
- Duplicate Content
- Duplicate content generally refers to substantive blocks of content within or across domains that either completely match other content or are appreciably similar. Google tries hard to index and show pages with distinct information, so duplicating content will not get you the top ranking you want.
- Duplicate Page Titles
- Another common mistake is that websites will paste the same page title across the site. Searching Google for <title>Untitled</title> and there's over 127,000,000 results.
- Duplicate Page Description
- Reviewing Google Webmaster Tools and this is a common item found on poorly SEO websites.
- Keyword Stuffing
- Keyword Stuffing is a term used when a person over optimizes the content through the use of repeating the keyword / phrase too many times. Keywords are very important to SEO, but their overuse can harm your rankings and quite possibly get you penalized.
- www.yourwebsitename.com and yourwebsitename.com
- Google see these two urls as two different websites. Set your preferred domain.
- Never Ending Meta Descriptions
- Be descriptive, be direct and be concise in your meta descriptions. Your description should be compelling and make people want to click on your search engine result.
- Outdated Sitemaps and Page Crawling Errors
- A sitemap is a major resource for search engines to use to navigate your website for crawling, if it is out of date, how will your new content be found? If you have a lot of crawling errors, do you thing search engine will spend a lot of their resources trying to crawl your site? - No!
- Multiple H1's
- The H1 tag is the main heading of the page, H tags should not be used for text decoration, use CSS for styling.
- SEO Impatience
- Search Engine Optimization is not a short term task. It is one of an ongoing refinement after refinement of working on your website. Producing unique content, checking it, validating, listing and checking the search engines and making sure they have it listed correctly.
- SEO Business Plan
- A solid successful business has a business plan and SEO also needs a business plan.
- Not Starting Early Enough
- Even organizations that are aware of SEO importance have a tendency to start the process too late. It's easier (and cheaper) to do it right the first time than to do it over.
- Thin Content Pages
- If the only text on the page that differs from other pages is the title, heading tags, etc., the page will either be seen as a low quality page, or a duplicate page.
- Splash Homepage
- The homepage is typically the strongest page of your website in terms of 'ability to rank' in the search engines, you want to be sure there is content on the page that tells the search engines what your site is about. The splash homepage traditionally contains little or no written content.
- Optimizing Local Listing
- Many of Google searches are local in nature. And lately, Google Places is showing up at the top of the search results for more and more of those search queries.
- Buying Links
- You might get a short term boost by buying links, but you're still taking a risk here. Paid links are sometimes flagged by search engine. Don't buy links!
- Chasing PageRank
Google has mentioned previously that PageRank is just one of over two hundred indicators used to crawl and rank a website. Instead, you should focus on your analytics, ROI, and relevancy.
As mentioned above, this list is not all-inclusive, but is a guide only. Search Engine Optimization is an ongoing process.
Get Started with Step 1
Start on the road to SEO success with our free SEO - Search Engine Optimization tool, evaluate your website here.